Something Advanced Musicians Don't Understand

This post will be best understood by people who have been learning a stringed instrument for at least a year.


I recently started my 11th grade in college (the system is a little different where I live, so just accept it). There's different clubs in college, and I've signed up for a club as a performer.

Today I had to go for an audition for one of the inter-collegiate events coming up. I was looking forward to this audition, because I knew I would nail it, but things didn't go exactly the way I thought they would. The person who took my audition (let's name him A) was a part of the club, and a fellow organiser and performer.

For the audition, I carried my acoustic guitar. They didn't have an amplifier, so I couldn't use their electric guitar or bring my own (I didn't carry my amplifier because I was traveling in a train, very inconvenient).

He asked me to play something. I told him I had just started working on 'Rain' by Vinnie Moore. I took my bluetooth speaker out of my backpack and started playing the backing track for the song.

When you play a song like Rain, it has very light picking, and it was obviously played on an electric guitar, and if I would pick the acoustic hard so every note could be heard, it would take away the feel from the song. I did light picking anyway. I'd rather have some notes inaudible than having the whole song sound like it was played by a beginner.

However, this wasn't taken very well by A. He thought my lead was weak, when it clearly wasn't. I came to realise that he had very little idea of the instrument and about the feel of music. If you're reading this, I don't mean any offence, you were really kind to me, but you just weren't able to realise that by letting a few notes be inaudible due to slides and bends, I was giving you the best quality of music that I could. Believe me, I could have made everything audible but you wouldn't like that either. I could pluck the strings as if they were my enemy, and you wouldn't like that.


What Does This Prove?

Most of you are convinced by now that this is a rant of some sort, and it is, but there is something I learnt from all this. 

I don't know about you, but earlier I believed that the people who were considered advanced by most people were actually extremely good at what they did, but this isn't actually true.

The man I came across today, might know how to play some really fast riffs, he might know how to shred, he might know how to rock a stage, but he lacked basic understanding of emotion and feel in notes. 

This clicked. I remember there was a boy who used to come to my guitar class, who really knew the guitar very well. He could play those notes like a dream. However, there was only one thing that he lacked. He lacked the understanding of the depth of notes, the meaning of plucking a string hard, and lightly grazing your pick across the string. He lacked a sense of emotion in notes. 

If you consider yourself an advanced musician, think again. Have you really understood the depth of notes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

The Beauty of Classics

Fitness and Guitar