The Beauty of Classics

As most of you readers might have noticed, I haven't given this blog much attention for the past few months, and I'm sorry for that. I've gone through a major change in my music life, and I want to share it with you.

Very recently, I had to attempt my examinations, which was quite a big deal, and I had started to lose my interest in the guitar, something just didn't feel right anymore. So, I decided to take a break. I ignored my guitars for a while, and when I was asked for fees in advance for my next set of guitar classes, I didn't pay them. I thought disconnecting for a while might get me back on track. Here's the thing: that didn't happen. My interests changed, a lot changed. 

Over time, I started developing a certain appreciation for softer music like jazz, and classical music as well. 

Some of you who have read more than just one post on this blog, you might know that I used to learn the electronic piano or the keyboard for six years before I started my journey with the guitar. Here's what happened: I started developing an interest for the grand piano as well. I found it to be a very refined instrument, with a sound which had depth, and was more pleasing to my ear than anything else. 

I'm sure you can put the pieces together...I started learning how to play classical piano...on the grand piano. I went to the same teacher who used to teach me the keyboard. He's a nice old (not too old) Christian man who knows the older pieces inside out. If you want to learn about older music, he's the person to go to. He now teaches me the grand piano, and I couldn't be happier. 

So, what's the purpose of writing this post?

Here's what I want to accomplish by posting this: I want to develop an appreciation for the older music in your mind, specially if you're a listener of contemporary music.

If you're a listener of contemporary music, it's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but most of you that I come across have very closed minds towards anything older than contemporary music. 

I feel like it's very important to appreciate older music, because let's face it: contemporary music isn't real. Yes, the beats sound good, the electronic stuff sounds really good to your ear, it makes you want to dance and it makes you feel good about yourself, agreed. The issue is this: you're getting addicted to music that's electronically created. There's nothing wrong with appreciating it, but you need to appreciate real music. By real music, I mean music that's actually manually played and created. That's real, it has so much more meaning, and once you understand that, everything will change for you. You may still like your loud, electronic music, but you'll have a totally different appreciation for other music too. 

Here's what I want you to try: Sit in a dark room, close your eyes, play any relaxing piano track from YouTube, or play any music from the older times. Close your eyes. Listen....don't hear, listen. Listen to the emotion, listen to the feeling, listen to the reality of the music, and if you try to do the same thing with electronic music, you can't. It just doesn't have the same depth and the same meaning. 

Readers, older music is becoming extinct. Real music is going to cease to exist unless we learn to appreciate the reality it has. Electronics have taken over everything, but one thing they can't take away is the reality, the depth, the meaning, and that's what's so important in music...

It was a short post indeed, but I hope I could get you to realize, not understand, realize the message I'm trying to convey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

Fitness and Guitar