Live Performance...Music Skips

Hey, STORY TIME! Now, I don't think I'm the greatest, neither am I an inspiration to anyone in the music industry, I'm simply a student learning music. However, there are some things that I have done in my life that I think will benefit you readers...one of them, is the live performance I am discussing in this post. 

Crowd was good, Les Paul and a track, but the music stopped for a frac

It was a good night for me. I was performing in a prestigious lounge bar. I love Les Pauls, AND I HAD ONE IN MY HAND! There was a good cheerful audience that night, and I was performing alone on stage, with a backing track.

I was hyped. This would be the best performance I'd ever done. What more could I want, being a student and all that! I went up on stage, took the guitar in hand, I was ready. 

The track comes on, the crowd cheers, and I start playing. It's going beautifully. All that practice was finally paying off! I was killin' it. The guitar sounded so perfect. The volume was perfect. Everything was just the way it should have been. 

All of a sudden, the track stopped. Just for a fraction of a second. Let me tell you this: if a track stops completely, you're good to go, it's not your fault. If the track stops for a minute, you're good. You can still get back on track. Nobody will blame you...
However, if the music stops just for a fraction of a second, it can be the worst thing that can happen to you on stage. It can ruin your entire performance. You don't have time to think, and the audience doesn't understand this. It can ruin everything. 

What the hell happened after that?

Well, here's where the technical part comes in. I don't know how I did it, but I did it. This is what you have to prepare for...

That one little fraction where the music stopped, I didn't...I stopped playing the guitar physically, because it took me by shock. I froze, but in my mind, the track kept playing. This happens only when you practice a thousand times. 

When the track finally came back on, it didn't start from where it stopped. It continued playing, as if it never stopped. This is what usually happens when your track stops for such little time. So, when it continued playing, even I did. It was as if I unfroze when the track started playing. It all happened so fast I had no time to think!

Here's the surprising part!

Well, if this was new to you, you're probably not going to believe what I'm going to say. 

It happened in a fraction of a second, but it felt like a good two seconds to me. When the music stopped and I was on stage, I had enough time to stop, play the track in my mind, and to open my eyes and look around to see why the music stopped.

If that's not surprising enough, here's the twist:

When I played the track on video, I realized that the track stopped not for two seconds, but for only a fraction of a second. 

What's more surprising: IN THE VIDEO, I NEVER EVEN LOOKED TO SEE WHY THE MUSIC STOPPED! MY EYES WERE CLOSED IN MOST OF THE VIDEO...THAT, OR I WAS LOOKING AT THE AUDIENCE! DIDN'T LOOK AROUND ONCE

For those who don't believe, I swear!

I swear this actually happened. It is not a joke. I distinctly remember looking around. There could be something I missed in the video, but I doubt that, because I replayed the video over a hundred times. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

The Beauty of Classics

Fitness and Guitar