What's theory got to do with music?

A lot of times, we hear that music involves theory, and people give their 'theory' exams, and things like that. Let me clarify one thing: Theory is just lines of information meant to explain something, in brief.

Music theory is like a musical language. For instance, if I typed all of this out in Latin, half of you wouldn't understand what I'm saying (even I won't). However, if you understand Latin, you will be able to understand what I am trying to communicate.

Similarly, we need to learn music theory to help us understand music better.

Look, now if I show you the C chord on a guitar, and I tell you to find me the A chord, some of you may be able to show me, some may not. It creates an understanding of how things happen. Just by showing you the position of the chords and telling you their names, you may play well. But if someone asks you to show them another chord which I haven't taught you, you would go blank. However, if you learnt music theory, this kind of an issue will not arise.

If you know music theory, you will have NO problem, literally no problem in playing. In fact, it will make things more fun for you and prevent you from being humiliated when you discuss with professional musicians about music.

Music theory is not boring unless you aren't taking music seriously. If you are, and you love music, this will be a piece of cake for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

The Beauty of Classics

Fitness and Guitar