Born To Be Nervous? I Don't Think So

Hey guys, I hope you're doing good. This article is only for those who have stage fright. 

Unlike what many people say, it is not necessary that if you have a little nervousness or fright before going on stage, it's because your performance is going to be good. That is all bullshit. I am going to be pretty straightforward with you, it's only been told to you to boost your confidence or to make your state better. However, now it seems to be a belief. Let me set things straight for you, and tell you how to overcome your fears. 

I'm 15 now, but when I was younger, like 6 or 7, I was too shy to talk to guests who came to my house. Today, I go on stage with almost no fear or nervousness. Stages have become a playground for me, and I look forward to stage performances. Stages are very interesting, here's why:

1) It shows you how good of a musician you are. It shows you your own level.

2) The best feeling is when your audience cheers for you. It will make you feel awesome.

3) When you take the audience by surprise in any kind of music, their reactions are priceless.

4) You can make money out of it.

5) You make mistakes. It's nothing to regret, it's more excited because it poses a challenge for you.

Now I gave you five good enough reasons to look forward to going up on stage next time.


Stage fright is not incurable. It's actually something that can be cured in a second. The reason people get stage fright is because there are so many eyes focused on them at one time. They are all waiting to see his/her skills. I have three words which, if executed, will remove your stage fright forever. These words are:

Change your perspective.

Believe it or not, that changes everything. All you have to do, is change the way you think. I personally don't know everyone's reasons for stage fright, so I will tell you how to look at the most common ones:

1) Don't look at the walls like they told you to do in school when you were nervous. That's stupid. Look at your audience: everyone except the people you know. You will realize it's not that bad. It will remove your fears. They are all like your friends. Just show them what you got.

2) Don't think ahead. Don't imagine what will happen on stage. The moment you have to go on stage, stop thinking completely. Just go up there. Forget what you thought, if you did, of what will happen on stage. When you go up on stage, go up there with confidence, raise your hands to calm the audience down. Yeah, they're cheering you up because they want you to know you're awesome. 

3) When you make mistakes, think of it as an opportunity. A challenge. If you played everything right on stage, you will surely get bored, because you practiced the same thing a million times before going up there. Mistakes are opportunities to show the crowd how well you can cover up your mistakes. Don't let them see your mistakes.

4) Enjoy yourself. Don't be stiff. You see those live music videos with those guitarists and singers running all around the stage and being all cool? Be like that. A true performer can perform with the same spirit even if his audience is only one person. Bend down, run around, use all the space you have. The wires for your instrument are pretty long to allow that. Don't worry. Make facial expressions. If you act alive on stage, the audience will love you. Believe me, I experienced this. On YouTube there was one video of me headbanging while playing, and that got a better response than most of my other videos. The song was not that great. I've played better songs. There is a sense of sound, which gets to people, and then there's vision. You show them some stunts on stage, jump around, and you play awesome music, you will nail it. I guarantee you. It will get you comfortable too.

5) Imagine yourself as one of the people in the audience. What would you want to see? Do exactly that. Live your life to it's fullest. Remember that nobody will remember whatever you do. They will remember the overall performance. Do crazy things on stage, everyone will enjoy it. People like it when others express themselves.

I hope these five tips helped you. Best of luck for your next performance! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

The Beauty of Classics

Fitness and Guitar