Pentatonic Minor and Blues Scales

Now, we all are aware of what a scale is. We play scales mainly because the notes in the scale sound good when played one after the other during a solo, and anything which is outside the scale sounds odd or as others would call it, "bad".





A PENTATONIC SCALE

The first thing we have to understand, before we go into a pentatonic minor scale, is what a pentatonic scale is. If you break up the word into two parts, 'penta' means five, and 'tonic' means notes. So if your teacher makes you play a pentatonic scale, it will not sound like a normal major scale we play. 

Where are such scales used?

A pentatonic scale may be used in blues, rock and pop music. I personally, love this scale and I love to use it in almost every key. I don't dislike other scales or anything, but pentatonic scales are one of my favourites.


A PENTATONIC MINOR SCALE

A pentatonic minor scale is basically a pentatonic scale played in a minor key. For example, a minor pentatonic, b minor pentatonic, d minor pentatonic, etc.





BLUES SCALE

Here, we come to something interesting. As the name suggests, the blues scales are most frequently used by blues musicians. It consists of the five notes of a pentatonic scale, plus one additional note, which some would like to call an "accidental". However, in blues, it's not an accidental. The way blues music is played altogether, it sounds just like a part of the scale. 


I am, personally, not that good at blues scales. I can play the scales perfectly, I can improvise on a track, but I just don't sound upto the mark on a blues scale, unless I go crazy when I'm playing. That doesn't happen much.





Anyways, thank you for taking out time to read this post! I hope you learnt something, and if I missed out on anything, please tell me. Thank you, again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why it’s important to practice a boring instrument every day

The Beauty of Classics

Fitness and Guitar